IVC Evidensia Recruitment Beyond Brexit

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Our cultural diversity is something we are very proud of and something we will continue to build on beyond Brexit. It helps to make our teams stronger and with a depth of knowledge that is second to none.

IVC Evidensia_Zetland

Although Brexit means we have had to make changes to the way we recruit from outside the UK, we will continue to welcome candidates who want to join our UK-based teams. Our recruitment team is on hand to help candidates through the application and visa process.

If you’re not a UK National but, are considering applying to work with us in the UK, what do these changes mean to you?

  • If you, or a close family member started living in the UK before 1st January 2021, you may be able to apply to the free EU Settlement Scheme. This scheme is open to applications until 30th June 2021
  • If you are not eligible for EU settlement, you will require a visa to work in the UK
  • You can work for IVC Evidensia if you have a Youth Mobility Scheme Visa or, we can sponsor you on a Skilled Worker Visa
  • Irish citizens do not need to apply for a visa or to the EU Settlement Scheme

So what are the different types of visas that are available?

Skilled Worker Visa

The Skilled Worker Visa system is a points-based system and you will need a score of at least 70 points. To qualify for a Skilled Worker visa, you must:

  • Have a job offer from a UK employer that is an approved sponsor – IVC Evidensia is an approved Sponsor
  • Be issued a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer
  • Your job must be on the list of eligible occupations – Vets and Veterinary Nurses are both on the list
  • Be paid a minimum salary – how much will vary depending on the job role, hours of work offered, whether it is a shortage occupation. Don’t worry our team will discuss eligibility with you during the application process
  • Prove you can read, write, speak and understand English to the required level – proof is in the form of particular tests, qualifications or being National of specific countries

The Skilled Worker Visa lasts for up to 5 years. After this time, you may be able to apply to extend or you will be eligible to apply to settle permanently in the UK. This gives you the right to live, work and study here for as long as you like and apply for benefits if you’re eligible.


“The fact of working abroad out of your comfort zone is always a challenge but, there’s no doubt that is a good decision. IVC Evidensia gave me, as an inexperienced veterinary surgeon, the opportunity to start working in the veterinary field in a really supportive environment which allowed me to develop myself professionally, and personally.”
– Carlos Giner Cervera, Veterinary Surgeon at Glenshane Vets


How do I apply for a visa and how long does it take?

  • You must apply online and how you apply depends on whether you’re:
    – Outside the UK and are coming to the UK
    – Inside the UK and extending your current visa or switching from a different visa
  • You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your start date
  • As part of your application, you’ll need to prove your identity and provide your documents. How you do this depends on where you’re from and what type of passport you have
  • Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within:
    • 3 weeks, if you’re outside the UK
    • 8 weeks, if you’re inside the UK
  • You can include your partner and children in your application to stay in the UK if they are eligible

How much does it cost?

You, your partner or children will each need to:

  • Pay the application fee. The standard fee ranges from £464 to £1408 depending on your circumstances. The majority of EU countries are eligible for reduced fees too
  • Pay the healthcare surcharge for each year of your stay. Usually £624 per year
  • Prove you have enough personal savings. This is usually a minimum of £1270. You must have had it available for at least  days prior to your application

Youth Mobility Scheme Visa (previously Tier 5)

You can apply for a Youth Mobility Scheme visa (T5) if you:

  • Want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
  • Are aged 18 to 30
  • Have £2,530 in savings
  • Are from one of the following eligible countries or territories (Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, San Marino, Taiwan)

If after 2 years you wish to stay in the UK, you have an option to switch to a Skilled Worker Visa. Contact our recruitment team at recruitmentsupport@ivcevidensia.com as they would be delighted to help you with any questions regarding applying for a role at IVC Evidensia, whether in the UK or mainland Europe. If you would like to find out more about current vacancies in the UK please visit the UK careers page.